Announced at the September 1 media event, iOS 4.1 for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available to download from Apple. The iOS 4.1 software update is listed under your iTunes updates for iPhone and iPod touch. Developers can also access the download through the iPhone developer page.
Version 4.1 of iOS includes several important bug fixes as well as a couple new features:
- Proximity sensor issue fixed for iPhone 4 owners
- Bluetooth problems fixed
- iOS 4 slowness problems with iPhone 3G fixed – this is a big one for iPhone 3G owners
- HDR photo features
- HD video upload over WiFi
- TV show rentals
- Game Center
Download iOS 4.1
Everyone can download iOS 4.1 now, most people will get a manual notification telling them the update is available. If you don’t get the notification, here’s how to initiate the software update:
- Launch iTunes with your iPhone / iPod touch attached
- Click on your iPhone then click ‘Check for Update’
- Select to Download & Install the iOS 4.1 update
You can also choose to just download the update and install it later. Presumably you will need iTunes 10 to download and install the iOS 4.1 update since it features new features that are attached to iTunes 10, mainly Ping.
Developers have had early access to download the iOS 4.1 from the iPhone Developer home page for about a week before public release.
iOS 4.1 for iPad?
iOS 4.1 will not be released for iPad, but iOS 4.2 will be available on the iPad in November which will bring all the iOS 4 software features to iPad.